Calspeed aint quitting... Sort of O/T

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Calspeed aint quitting... Sort of O/T
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:54:56 EDT
Hello,

After many, many wonderful emails about my not racing anytime in the near
future I think I better open up alittle to the List.  After all, the list is
were some of my closest friends are located.  Of course I can tell my buds
what up in the Calspeed houshold.

Well, last week I crashed my motorcycle.  Not too worry.  I was on Mines Rd
which is just outside of Livermore, Ca.  I and a bunch of coworkers were
making our annual motorcycle trip to Yosemite where our Captain has a cabin.
Anyway, coming around a curve at around 30mph I hit a squirrel or a chipmunk.
 The bike slid out and ended up hitting the floor.  Not alot of damage to
myself or the bike.  But I did finally get to taste what roadrash is all
about.  I have a nice big raw patch of skin on the outside of my right calf.
My beautiful CBR900RR was still ridable but in need of alittle work.
Otherwise, no big deal.  Btw... we were not going fast either.

Well, this whole ordeal started to make me think.  Hmmmmm......   Thats fall
was really the shits but it could have been alot worse.  And yes, I thought
of my family and yes my 16 month old Rose.

What really crossed my mind was not just stopping all of these "Extreme"
activites.  Motorcycling, Datsun Racing, Triathalons and of course my job as
a SF Fireman.  I figured it was time to limit my activites.  I have a passion
for my motorcycling and it is more of a way of life for me than a hobby.  I
love to compete in Triathalons and other physical events.  And my job is just
my job.  Racing Datsuns is a hobby.  I can do without that hobby for now.

So... to make sure I go with my decision I decided to sell off all of my
racing stuff.  The trailer (appx 18 feet long), the four harnesses, my
excellant shape Simpson vintage style racing helmet, extra trailer wheel
bearings and some other stuff that I cant think of now.  But I will make it a
good deal.  I promise.

But I really want to get all of this stuff out so if you are interested let
me know.  I am willing work with you guys on a price.  Ask me questions about
the stuff.  I dont mind at all.

So, there you have it.  Calspeed is going to just sit back and watch his old
videos and that will be about as extreme as SRL311-000248 Solex is going to
get for now.  I am sure that Mary will be very surprised with my decision.  I
will tell her when the trailer is sold.  Okay, someone buy the trailer now.

See you in Shasta!

Michael "Calspeed" Carion
ps: can I still wear my racing numbers?