RE: 1500 Clutch Problem

To: "Charlie" <cehubbard@home.com>,
Subject: RE: 1500 Clutch Problem
From: "jerry gallagher" <jdg1@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:00:10 -0700
Charlie, List

Actually there is another possibility -- unfortunately I know of this from
personal experience.  On a '69 2000 and I assume other roadsters it is
possible to install the clutch throwout fork incorrectly so that it is not
positioned on the throwout bearing sleeve correctly.  This results in a
clutch that almost disengages -- but not quite.  If this has happened don't
wait too long to fix as it contributes to extreme wear on the "fingers" of
the clutch pressure plate.  I continued to drive my car with a misbehaving
clutch for about 700 miles while trying to fix it by trying different
hydraulic cylinders and even trying a longer clutch adjustment rod.  The
clutch "fingers" were almost worn through and I do not want to think of the
damage that could have occurred if I continued to drive.

Good Luck,

Jerry