RE: What's the purpose of the registry?

To: "datsun" <datsun-roadsters-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's the purpose of the registry?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 07:30:26 -0700
Many other makes of vintage or collector cars have registries of the cars. I can
see any number of benefits, particularly for a model like ours that had
relatively limited production numbers.

As was already pointed out, it documents the number of cars still in existence.
This makes it easier to make a case for continuing to supply parts or to
encourage reproduction of unavailable parts.

It allows owners (and potential owners) to research the history of vehicles.

It allows the possibility (slim, I admit) of locating and recovering stolen
vehicles.

It builds a sense of community among the owners.

It demonstrates a sense of commitment to the rest of the vintage/collector car
community. This is especially important in a situation such as ours, where the
Euro-centric vintage car community still doesn't always view our cars as
significant.

I can understand some people's concern about privacy, but nobody's asking for
home address or anything that could put you at risk. It's just an attempt to
build the community and document what exists.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA