Re: starting problems

To: datsun roadster mailist <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: starting problems
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:28:48 -0700
Any thoughts? You ever hear your intestines groaning and growling?
Sometimes the internal plumbing of the engine makes faint noises during a
partial rotation of the crank. The starter has to overcome inertia of
moving the parts from a stop and to overcome compression in the cylinders.
The whirr may be from hitting those momemts of overcoming rotational
inertia, sort of a sigh of relief from the engine.

But that's besides the point! Most of the time you encounter this situation, I
bet it's because not enough amps are getting to the starter motor. Disconnect
the battery connections, and then clean all battery wire connections at the
starter and frame. Put on some dielectric grease before connecting and
tightening the connections.

Sometimes moisture in the air can interact with soiled connections and bleed off
power from a connection. I forget the details, something having to do with
corona discharge and arcing. You get a foggy drizzly day and problems pop up.
Clean up all the connections and then try starting it.

Fred - So.SF