RE: Your advice is needed - "stuck" hood lock control.....

To: elvis@channel1.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Your advice is needed - "stuck" hood lock control.....
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:46:36
I received two other suggestions back in 1999.....

Stan Chernoff mentioned that by putting the car up on a lift, it may be
possible to take a long rod (possibly with a movable joint or two) from
underneath the car and push the head of the plunger upwards and release the
hood.

The other idea came from Alan Bent. HE actually sent me a diagram, but I no
longer have it :(

He mentioned that there are several holes in the firewall of the early
roadsters, and one of those large holes is in the general vicinity of the
head of the plunger (just below the head of the plunger when the hood is
closed). By taking a large screwdriver and pushing through the firewall and
then lowering the handle of the screwdriver (thus rasing the head of the
screwdriver - like a see-saw), you may be able the push the head of the
plunger upwards and release it.

Just to let you know I kept on trying to release the hood using a
screwdriver/scissors for several weeks (I tried 10 times). I finally met
sucess when I lifted the corner of the hood up enough with a scissor blade
(covered in rubber) which provided enough overall lift of the hood so I
could then insert a large flat head screwdriver under the lip of the hood
(near the location of the plunger). Once there were two leverage points to
lift the hood at the same time.... the hood opened up.

Good luck..
Dan Zubkoff
San MAteo, CA