Re: 318 Dodge van

To: Richard Wright <duntov1@attbi.com>,
Subject: Re: 318 Dodge van
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:58:54 -0600
>Richard Wright

> I'm looking at a 1994 Dodge van w a 318 V8 for a family/tow vehicle.
> Any experience with these tanks?
> Please tell me your pro's and cons.

IMO, the 318 is a bit small, at least for extended highway trips towing
around 3500 lbs. of car and trailer. However if you're like us, with just
one or two longer trips a year, then it might be okay.

AFAIK, it shares external dimensions and attachment points with the other
Chrysler A-Series motors, the 340 and the 360, so you should be able to swap
in a 360, physically anyway. As to rather you could get it to pass
emissions, I'm not sure. Costs for MOPAR and Ford crate motors and parts
aren't nearly as low as early small block Chevy/GM, unfortunately.

FWIW,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@attbi.com