Re: Speedo repair discovery

To: gmagana@softcom.net
Subject: Re: Speedo repair discovery
From: JRDMF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:47:27 EST
I use a high grade bearing oil to lubricate the drive assembly. You can pick
some up at pretty much any hobby shop. Normally, I just turn the instrument
upside down and let it soak in for about an hour or so, but since you have it
apart you can lube it from the inside. I use a syringe type applicator and
give it about 5 drops of oil right down the center of the drive. You don't
want to put too much, or later on down the road you will end up with oil on
the face of your instrument. This is also an excellent time to refill the
damping fluid and keep your pointer from bouncing on the way up and down the
scale. There is a little brass "cup" at the top of the gauge where the hand
staff comes through and connects to the pointer. (After 35 years of service
they tend to get a little dry.)  Fill the cup with 100,000 centistoke damping
fluid and hopefully you won't ever have to deal with it again. (Dow Corning
makes the stuff and if you call any of their distributors they will send you
a small sample that will do 100 instruments for free.)

The last thing that you will want to check while you are in there is the
magnet assembly. Take a good close look at it and make sure that there are no
metal fragments that are stuck to it or the drag plate that go's over it. The
easiest way to remove the fragments is to take a piece of masking tape and
run it in and out of the two pieces so that the fragments will stick to the
tape. This will also keep you from having any erroneous indications
throughout the range of the Speedometer.

Jon
Huntington Beach, Ca
67.5 2000
67.5 1600