RE: diff idea, VG30E

To: <nowroc@dslnorthwest.net>
Subject: RE: diff idea, VG30E
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:07:30 -0400
It's the 83-85 GSL-SE.  That car has the rear disc's and 4.08 LSD.  Those
axles are somewhat hard to find though because the guys with non-SE RX7's
and all of the guys in Pro7, Spec7, etc, want those axles too.  It is a good
swap candidate though as it would only need minimal mods to make it work.
These would include cutting off the coil spring mounts and fabricating pads
to mount it to the roadsters leaf springs.  You'd also need to make a drive
shaft flange adaptor.  The up side is that you get disc brakes, Limited
slip, and the same bolt circle for the wheels.  Any first gen RX7 that came
from the factory with rear disk brakes also has the LSD.  The only issue
would then be if a 4.08 gear set was too low for you.  By comparison, stock
1600's run a 3.90 and 2000's a 3.70
If the Limited slip is not important to you - any first gen RX7 axle would
be useable.  I'm fairly sure the disk brake set up can be retrofitted to
drum brake axle.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/