RE: Engine Rebuild

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Rebuild
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:27:18 -0700
Crankshaft end-play should be .002-.007". This is what you were adjusting by
sanding the #3 main bearing. Check it using a dial indicator and levering
the crank back and forth.

If you used stock Nissan rings, you might want to check them against this
diagram:
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Images/U20_piston_ring_specs.jpg. The
difference between the 1st and 2nd rings is subtle. They should have been
marked in the packaging.

It's not uncommon to do a few assembly/reassembly loops while building an
engine. It's much better to tear it down and check everything again than to
put it together wrong. I know it feels frustrating, but it's called being
thorough. It's a good thing.

If the copper gasket looks like it is stamped out of thin sheet metal and
has a strange cross-section, it is probably the crush washer for the oil pan
drain plug. As with all crush washers, it is meant to be replaced every time
it is removed. How many of you knew that? Don't feel bad, I didn't know that
for a couple of decades.  ;-)

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
www.gordon-glasgow.org