The key question is...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: The key question is...
From: <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:20:35 -0800
Did the cars come with 2 keys (ignition and doors) or a single one-opens-all
key?

My car (69 SRL) arrived without keys or ignition column.  The replacement
column I acquired has a different blank even though it supposedly
came from the same year.

I pulled all the exterior lock cylinders with intentions of having them
re-keyed by a locksmith however I gathered that they are sealed(?) with no
option to change out the tumblers.  I found the stamped numbers so I can
have a key made by a locksmith but I was hoping to have things keyed alike
w/ the ignition.

I also found out they are easy to pick open even with a 15 second formed
paperclip and a bobbypin tensioner  [bad broadcast info but you know if
"they" want to get inside, they will].   that kinda defeated the entire
intent of even bothering with the locks and directs thoughts toward a
(useless) car alarm instead.

Since I gave up keeping things 100% stock I think I'll try to apply some
locking solenoid (or deadbolted electric door lock if you will) that I found
in my shop-The place where the thing you threw away went(tm)...  that is "if" i
can figure out how to defeat the lock in case of a collision/electrical
failure.  Oddly enough my muse doing this would be to lock a theif
inside the car rather than locking one out.

TIA