Re: The key question is...

To: "R Haug" <haugchiro@moscow.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The key question is...
From: <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:33:06 -0800
> It might be me but I believe that we have a convertable.
> The car is open anyway.  Put anything you want to keep in the
> trunk.  :-)
> Bob

hah!  true.  not like I keep anything of value that I feel is worth
destroying what I painstakingly worked on in the first place.   I was
thinking in terms w/ the hard top on but not like that is any deterrence.
Here in LA I often leave my door unlocked so they don't bust in $200 worth
of windows to get at the $2.50 worth of quarters on the center console.
If I had anything of value in my car I left it under a mound of newspapers
and empty McDonalds bags behind the drivers seat with the windows slightly
open (for heat ventilation).  Great deterrence...  in a "OMG... how
disgusting.  Lets find another car..." kind of way.

In other cars I had a secure lock box.  I was thinking of putting one in the
Roadster (if I can find a spot suitable that won't be easy sheet metal to
tear out).

IMHO the best deterrence as an alarm system is a flashing LED circuit made
with $1.20 worth of components.   If a thief gets past the visual
deterrence, I don't think they will care about the 140db whooping alarm.

>On '69 cars the ignition switch lock took a different key than the other
locks.

Thanks Stan.   I couldn't pull the cylinder out to get at the pins but then
again I'm not a locksmith  =)
Since all the exterior cylinders match I should try to find an ignition
cylinder, eh?  Having a 2nd key was just a concern because my key ring is so
filled I am often reminded when I could hear the janitor making his rounds
on the floor above me.