Re: The key question is...

To: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: The key question is...
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:14:02 -0600 (CST)
My view of stealing a car is that it may take a thief a minute or so to
get the car going, but if it quits once on the road (s)he will abandon it
as fast as possible. I plan on putting in a switch in series with the
ignition coil, but there will also be a fuse across the switch. Selecting
the correct value for the fuse will allow the car to start and get out of
the parking spot before the engine dies. Sitting in the middle of traffic
with a dead, stolen car is not what the thief wants, so they will hot foot
it out of there, not looking for the cause of the problem. When youreturn
just flip the switch and drive off.

As for a switch, I prefer to use something that doesn't look like a
switch. Some folks install headphone jacks in their cars so they can hear
their sounds better. I plan on mounting a hstereo headphone jack under the
dash that will be the "switch". Insert a plug in the jack which has a
jumper across the two isolated terminals and the car runs normally. Pull
the plug and it doesn't.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA