Re: torque wrench

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: torque wrench
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:06:31 -0600
>Matt Jacquet

> Starting the engine reassembly and think it's time to upgrade from the
> "needle/scale" style torque wrench I've had tossed in the overflow tool box.
> Should I go with 3/8 or 1/2 drive, name brand and what price should I expect
> to pay (need to go easy, still stinging from my last order of Roadster
> parts)?? Most of my socket tooling is in 3/8 drive.

I have two 1/2 inch drive/150 lb ft torque wrenches, one each beam/pointer
and a ratchet type, and a 600 lb in beam type. They're all most accurate in
the middle of their range so I'd buy based on that rather than what drive
size sockets you have. You can always use 1/2 drive to 3/8 socket adapters.
I would get two, one, the 150 lb ft, will get the most use, but having a 600
lb in model is good for smaller fasteners that call for low torque values.

IMO, the beam/pointer types are probably more reliable and consistent than
the ratchet models. Get one with the handle that floats on a pivot  and
learn to use it so you keep the handle moving on the pivot only. I'd
probably look at Sears first, but there are certainly other sources.

As far as using the torque wrench to loosen fasteners, I see nothing wrong
with doing it carefully. Plus if you watch the value at which a bolt starts
to turn it'll give you fairly close idea of how tight it was in the first
place. This can sometimes be useful info. Did I remember to mention being
careful?

I keep all on my torque wrenches in a shallow drawer in my Craftsman roll
around chest , sitting in cut outs in a sheet of 2 inch foam.

FWIW,
Ron