Re: alternative seats, not CRX either

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: alternative seats, not CRX either
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:55:00 -0700
Pete wrote:  <<Anyone try other sportscar (like Porsche) or aftermarket
seats?>>
I tried Honda CRX, which have a similar shape to the Miata (flat seat,
good bolsters) with the same result.  (bought a pair for less than the
cost of seat covers) They measure almost exactly the same as roadster
seats, but are much firmer, so I was sitting so high that the rear view
mirror created a huge forward blind spot and I looked like a performing
circus bear driving one of those shriner parade cars.  (some would say,
"you still do resemble that")  MR2 seats would be another "small"
option.   For reference, Eric had height problems with Miata seats on
the rails, and he is 5'9" (69") tall with a 30" inseam, ~39" torso.  I
am 6'3" (75") with a 32" inseam, ~ 43" torso.  The CRX seats might be
viable for those with a bit smaller leg/torso ratio, especially if
bolted direct to the floor.
I have since re-furbed my stock seats (bought a rusty stock seat on
e-bay for the seat cover alone, thanks Jim in Pacifica), but I used
packing foam, which was not a good choice.  It is open-cell foam (I
think) and once the air departs, it compresses too much, so I can feel
the seat side frames and I could swear I can feel the flat of the floor
as well.  Some would say 'cut down on the cheeseburgers'.  I will refurb
again, soon, with better quality foam.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB,CA