Re: 2 yrs later, same question..."More tranny help needed"

To: "Eric A. Isaacson" <eric.isaacson@jbtool.com>
Subject: Re: 2 yrs later, same question..."More tranny help needed"
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:51:54 -0700
> John F Sandhoff wrote the following back in April, 2003.  I have just
> experienced the same problem.  How, and perhaps where, do I obtain
> the correct counter shaft?

You're dealing with Borg-warner versus synchro style trannys.

The borg-warner shaft uses the open needle bearings.
The servo style uses the caged bearings.

The borg-warner shaft is available from the dealer.
The servo-style shaft is not.

I ended up getting the shaft from Rallye. I tried several vendors
and had no luck except for Dann. Actually, I ended up buying
the countershaft kit (999-84) since that was the only way to get
the thrust washers. For some info for warner vs servo styles see
<http://www.datsunroadster.com/PIC_PAGES/PARTS_INFO_PAGES/synchro_info.htm>
Dann used to sell just the shaft, but I don't see it listed separately
now.

>  At this pace, I am on track for the most delayed tranny rebuild ever.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I still haven't finished putting mine all
the way back together. Last step is to scavenge some decent lockout
pins, hopefully a parts tranny I got a few months back will have a
good pair.

-- John

driving a 2L/5sp with a bad 2nd gear syncho :-(