Re: Concealed Weapons

To: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Subject: Re: Concealed Weapons
From: Phillip Brook <fairlady@telstra.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:10:56 +1000
Steve,
The only way to describe that statement is as a load of crap. That
article was written in 2000 and refers to selective statistics from
1999. The article itself also contains some factual errors and is
obviously written from a pro-gun point-of-view. For instance, you can
buy .22 rifles and shotguns in this country, just not fully automatic
or assault rifles or pump-actions. I don't think duck or kangaroo
shooters really need automatic weapons. None of our deadly animals
stand more than a couple of inches above ground level.

Except for remarkable incidents like the Martin Bryant case referred
to, Violent crime in Australia is continuing to fall. A 3% increase in
murders doesn't mean much when the annual number barely reaches 3
figures. In this country, the overwhelming majority of the victims knew
their assailants (eg bad marriages, jealous lovers, spoilt kids).

Armed robberies using guns are also way down on years ago. Banks are
too hard because of security screens. Gas station attendants (and most
other armed robbery victims) get held up by people with knives or
syringes and rarely get injured because they are smart enough to just
hand over the money, jewellery, car or whatever.

I haven't handled a gun in 30 years. Most people I know have never
handled a gun. Despite fantasies of going to an American firing range
and getting to try a Thompson or AK-47, most Australians will never
handle a gun. Most aussies will only ever see a real gun in the
possession of a cop or soldier.

Quite frankly, that is the way we like it.

Phill B