Re: Diesel Truck/KA(240SX)

To: "Victor Laury" <vlaury@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Diesel Truck/KA(240SX)
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:39:34 -0700
Okay, so if I have this straight (from Victor's email below), there are
potentially TWO slightly different transmissions on the deisels that we could
use:

1. FS5W71B - 1981 to 1985(? maybe earlier?) deisel p/u - which is the one I
have. Same length as the roadster 4spd, but shifter 2 1/2" forward. Could
probably cut and weld a piece on the shifter itself to move the shifter back
to useable position. 1600 driveshaft would slide right in. Unknown ratios at
this point.
I put a 1600 backing plate up against it and all the important holes line up.
The bellhousing portion of this transmission requires only slight
modifications to bolt up to the newer FS5W71C (email, link below)
A Nissan dealership in the area could not find a price on the bellhousing so
may be NLA. Part # 32101-E916Z (from 32101-E911Z)
***I have read that the 4 spd bellhousing (of this series of transmission) is
identical and could possibly be swapped/modified for use.***

2. FS5W71C - 1986 to 1988 diesel P/U (?) - This transmission (different
bellhousing) was used in 240SX/200SX/300ZX/Van/pickups - 1986 to 1996(?)
I have not seen one of these (diesel) yet. On a lark I phoned the dealership
and the bellhousing is available out of Japan for $673.00 (Canadian). I don't
know if it will work (haven't seen one), but chances are good (if it is used
on the same deisel engines). This transmission (from other than deisel) will
work with a modified "B" bellhousing. It is longer than the "B" so shortening
the driveshaft would be required. Part # 32101-10G76 (from 32101-10G68)

Transmission mount modifications would be required with either transmission.

My install is a ways away yet. If you know any of this info to be incorrect
please let me/list know.
Also if you come across a "C" transmission (deisel), I would appreciate
knowing (rather than speculating) if it would work.

Thanks
Daryl