Re: Alignment question

To: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@telus.net>,
Subject: Re: Alignment question
From: Perry Smith <tpsmithstl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:31:43 -0700 (PDT)
Wow!  Althought I think I have found concensus, I'm sorry I stirred up a
hornets nest.  Yes, it sounds like these guys (a local Firestone dealer), just
plain don't want to do the work.  I know it requires shims that are availble,
but they probably aren't interested in playing with it.  They have a bunch of
young kids working there and I don't think they know what they're doing anyway.
 I have only take it there for inspections and they never seem to be interested
in fixing anything they find wrong ( over the years - rear brake line, upper
suspension bushing, pivot arm loose, etc.)  Nothing major, they just send me on
my way and tell me to come back within two weeks with it fixed.

I live in St. Louis, MO - so I'm sure there must be some local shop that will
do it.  Any suggestions?

Also, should I buy a shim set before taking it in, or do you think they should
have to appropriate shims?

Regards,
Perry

Daryl Smith <drlsmith@telus.net> wrote:

>> Although I haven't had mine aligned yet (two-years owner), I was told by
>> the
>> shop that does my inspections that I need to take mine to a shop that has
>> an
>> older alignment machine because the front and rear wheels are different
>> widths. Is this correct?

It is BS as Mike says.
My brother is a mechanic and they use the same machine to align everything
from Austin Mini's to One Ton Dual Wheel pickups.

You have a case there with one of two things happening:

1. They don't know what they are doing.

OR, more likely,

2. They don't want to do it. (old car, likely rusty bolts, chance of
breaking one, have to replace it, harder to adjust than new
cars........)(they consider it more trouble than it's worth to their bottom
line)

Either way, you want to find another, reputable shop, to do the alignment
for you.

Where are you located, maybe someone has a suggestion?

Daryl