Re: backfiring/sputtering carbs

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: backfiring/sputtering carbs
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:50:47 -0400
The domes were probably not centered correctly when screwed down. This has
happened to me and that's why I always check to make sure the pistons move
smoothly during and after the domes are tightened. There is play in the way
the domes can be tightened and this can cause binding. Burrs or high spots
can also cause a binding problem but scotchbrite can usually fix that.

Except for damaged carbs I have yet to see a set of domes and pistons that
bind but there are slight differences in their fit to each other which is
negligible under normal driving conditions.

Another reason a piston may stick is an off centered jet. It's very hard to
center the jets after disassembly unless you have the right tool.

Mike