Re: Steering Universal Joint?

To: Datsun-Roadsters Mail List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Universal Joint?
From: Eric <egustavson@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:10:28 +1000
I read Dan's email about steering u-joint rebuilds, and went to look for
the part number that got me through a rebuild job, but couldn't find it.

Last week, I "tidied" my roadster parts cupboard and found the box.

I used a Hardy Spicer (Australia) universal joint kit (K5-A699 U/J Kit -
Staked Steering) and the u-joint machining and assembly job was done by
a friend who is a precision engineer.  The H-S kit's bearing caps are
slightly different in diameter (larger) compared to the original u-joint
cross but otherwise it is the same size (tiny).  This isn't necessarily
a bad thing, because I'll bet that the hole alignments on most roadster
steering u-joints are not actually straight and square.  Making them
slightly larger allows full alignment, if the job is done with something
like a Sunnen 1804 hone.

This worked really well for my 1970 rhd 1600, SP311-06003 so it should
be the same for similar vintage high-screens that have the final-type
steering box.  The older cars use different parts.

This of course may not be OK for a purist, or someone who is lucky
enough to actually have a new part, but now my steering u-joint is
straight and square, and I can replace it whenever I like (probably not
for a long time).

best wishes to all roadster fans,

eric in townsville