Re: 68 maybe not Water Pump help

To: Chuck Kyle <chuck@chuckkyle.com>
Subject: Re: 68 maybe not Water Pump help
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:39:06 -0500
Chuck,

As far as I know all the 1600's used the same water pump. There is an
engine serial number stamped on the top edge of the block, on the
distributor side of the engine. Check that number. There are 3 main
bearing engines and 5 main bearing engines. As I recall engine numbers
below 50000 were 3 main engines. 50000 on are 5 mains. There were metric
and inch engines. Maybe the pump you picked up was for the opposite type
of engine to what you have. (As I recall, the change over was at the
same time they went from the 3 mains to 5 mains in 67.5.) I'm drawing a
blank on whether they went from metric to inch, or inch to metric. Sorry.

Last time I needed a water pump I went to our local fork lift shop and
ordered a water pump for a Nissan fork lift with a R20 engine. It seems
that this water pump is used on quite a few fork lift engines. The water
pump I got was listed as fitting a Mitsubishi fork lift. They wanted to
know what model and year of fork lift and I told them I had no idea, as
the engine had been removed from the fork lift as was being used as a
stationary engine to pump water. That was about 3~4 years ago and the
pump cost a bit over $50.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --