Electric pumps (was: blanking plates)

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Electric pumps (was: blanking plates)
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:52:38 -0700
> i am thinking about switching to an electic fuel pump on my early 67 low
> windshield 1600, which is what started the discussion

If I might ask, why?

Unless your fuel needs have substantially increased (nitrous?),
the mechanical pump has adequate flow. It's reliable, safe, doesn't
make noise, doesn't require replacing chunks of steel line with bits
of rubber hose, doesn't require wiring mods (everyone running electric
does have inertia (crash) switches, right???), you have a chance at
push-starting with a really weak battery....

Several cars sport electric pumps, but I personally don't see the
advantage, unless it's part of a theft-deterrent system.

My opinion. Yours will probably differ :-)

-- John