Re: OT: Jiffy Lube rip-offs ?? This is interesting

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT: Jiffy Lube rip-offs ?? This is interesting
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:03:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Although it is interesting footage you only get to see one side of the story.
I personally don't beleive any of the sensationalist investigative reports that
the news puts on.  An example:

While I was working at Wal-Mart as a Manager of the auto department there was a
Prime-Time investigation about Wal-Mart Tire Lube Express very similar to the
Jiffy Lube footage seen here.  It didn't happen at my store but we were made
aware of it.  The news crew brought a car into Wal-Mart and told us to do a
tune up on the car.  We replaced the items included in the tune up like plugs,
wires, oil, filter, etc...  The car had been tampered with before it was
brought in.  They had clipped some wires which made it run poorly.  After the
tune up was complete they broadcast a sensationalist story about how Wal-Mart
ripped them off.  They showed receipts for all the money they spent but the car
hadn't been fixed and still ran poorly.  We took them to court and won but it
was after the damage had been done.

Another thing that bothers me about this footage is that it is targeted at one
chain store.  We also don't know how many Jiffy Lubes they tried.  They could
have gone to 100 or 1000 stores and had 6 that were "newsworthy".  They say 6
of 9 stores but were there only 9 stores?

We never saw them actually make the contract with the salesman.  Could they
have said "Only change the fuel filter if it needs it"?  The tech then says
"I'll have to pull the gas tank to check and it will cost $100".

I had a transmission service done at Jiffy Lube on my truck.  They did use the
fancy machine and I watched them.  There were two services offered and I could
have chosen either.  The first service was to use the fancy machine and just
swap out fluid.  The other was to pull the pan and replace the filter and
however much fluid drained out.  Both services were $99.  They made a point to
show the machine and the tech talking about the machine.  They even showed the
tranny lines.  They did not show the contract with the salesman which indicated
which of the two services were chosen.

Don't beleive everything you see or read.  I've never had any bad experiences
with Jiffy Lube.

Andy