RE: ARP, the result

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ARP, the result
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:08:56 -0700
I also have the head stud kit but have not installed it yet....roadster
stuff is on hold till September.
What I read in Corkey Bells book about head studs was very illuminating.
You have to make sure that the stud is not bottoming in the threaded hole.
He also says to chamfer away the first thread in the hole so that the
non-threaded part of the stud bears against it. In this way you preload the
block in tension and when you tighten the head down you take out the
pre-loaded tension and can have a stronger clamping force on the head but
less net tension on the block.
        Did that make sense??
        I would hope that the threaded part of the studs from Dean are short
enough to be able to do this.

        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland Ca
        69 2000