Re: Sanity check - Bad starter?

To: gsglasgow@comcast.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sanity check - Bad starter?
From: Bspark47@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:01:15 EDT
Aaaanndd....by all means, check the battery under load, i.e. with  someone
trying to start the car while you read a meter attached to the battery
terminals. Daughter had a Scirocco that wouldn't start one morning...read
twelve
volts and a bit at the battery until I opened the door and turned the dome
light
on. That's when the voltage dropped to a little less than 0.5 volts.

Point is, batteries can exhibit some fascinating, entertaining and
instantaneous failure modes and are Very Often the first thing to suspect. They
 are
also, statistically, the most likely automotive component to fail. As
mentioned
previously, check the cables and terminals, too....wiggle things  around...if
a cable looks a little fat near the battery terminal, it might be  corroded
internally. This last is not uncommon.

Click-click is almost never a starter problem, IME.

Bill
70
other 70

In a message dated 6/24/2007 11:58:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,