Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 08:32:17 -0700
Mathew,

Keith is right, ALWAYS install fuse close to the battery or power source
connection when installing accessory items.  Installing a fuse prevents
smoke, followed shortly by foul odors, and a mess to clean up.  Not to
mention possible damage to whatever may be near the burning wires.

New cars today fuse their lighter sockets (or power outlets as the are often
called) at 20 Amps from the factory.  In years past lighter sockets were
often fused at 14 Amps, or in some cases, like the high windshield
roadsters, 20 Amps.  If you are planning to run a laptop from this
connection I would use the 20 Amp fuse.

If you are blowing a 30 Amp fuse I suspect there is something metallic
inside of your socket body, or the lighter plug itself has a serious short
in it or connected to it.  30 Amps is a lot of juice for a small short to
survive.  Most light shorts would burn out rather than blowing a 30 Amp fuse
first.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland