Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem

To: "'Matthew A. Smith'" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:22:45 +0930
--===============0180020163==

"I know this is trivial, but here goes. I added an aftermarket cigarette
lighter (don't have a center console). I have it wired completely separate
from everything else in the car. (-) is to the firewall and (+) is to the
battery, thru a 30 amp fuse. Here's the problem. That 30 amp fuse blows
every other time I use the lighter. Would it be OK to remove the fuse from
the circuit? The socket is ONLY used for the cigarette lighter. I don't use
any other components in it (charger, light, or stuff like that). Should I
use a fusible link wire so it will blow slower and give the lighter time to
get hot?
Matt"

Matt, sounds like you have done everything right.
Don't, for ANY reason, run this circuit unfused.
It MUST be protected, like any other electrical circuit.
Providing you have tight connections to everything, there should be no
reason for the circuit to draw that much current!!!!
I can't help thinking there must be a problem with the lighter device
itself.
It isn't a 6V lighter is it????
Double the voltage and you need double the current for a given resistance.
Just double check that the chassis of the socket is grounded and the
insulated terminal is the "hot" wire or 12V positive.
It might be worthwhile getting another [12V] one and try that.

Checked by AVG.
9:39 AM