Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem

To: matthews517@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:22:01 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/2008 6:01:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
matthews517@earthlink.net writes:

Hi  Everyone,

I know this is trivial, but here goes. I added an aftermarket  cigarette
lighter (don't have a center console). I have it wired completely  separate
from everything else in the car. (-) is to the firewall and (+) is  to the
battery, thru a 30 amp fuse. Here's the problem. That 30 amp fuse  blows
every other time I use the lighter. Would it be OK to remove the fuse  from
the circuit? The socket is ONLY used for the cigarette lighter. I  don't use
any other components in it (charger, light, or stuff like that).  Should I
use a fusible link wire so it will blow slower and give the  lighter time to
get hot?

Matt

30 amps is a lot of current. Seems like a bunch for a lighter. Since it's
blowing every other time then it might not be excessive. Double check your
wiring to make sure you don't have a short. As a test you might remove the
lighter and it's wiring and hook it directly to the battery. You do want a
fuse,
wires get really hot in a hurry, especially if you are going straight to the
battery. Having smoke in the cockpit just isn't any fun. Having it continue to
burn after you turn the key off is even less fun.

keith

listings at AOL Autos.