Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem

To: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cigarette lighter problem
From: "E Scanlon" <escanlon@wa-net.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:03:18 -0700
My WAG's:
What gage wire are you using for the + to the battery, and firewall?  I seem
to recall that the thinner the wire the more resistance (actuall less
conductivity) it has and therefore potential overload on a fuse.

Also, have you checked that the ground at the firewall is making good
contact?

Lastly, have you checked that the prong that holds the lighter when it's
depressed isn't overly tight?  That prong is designed to expand with the
heat from the lighter element, but sometimes they can be overly tight
causing the lighter to overheat before it will expand that prong enough to
release the lighter.  It should be tight enough to hold the lighter against
it's spring, but loose enough that once it heats up it allows it to pop out
of the prong (not the holder).

HTH