Re: [Roadsters] stuck drums

To: boakes@gmail.com, Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] stuck drums
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:25:08 -0700 (PDT)
Bill,

I presume the drums are finned aluminum?  If so, corrosion between the
studs and the drum and/or between the drum and the axle at the center hole can
make removal very difficult.  It doesn't take much corrosion, either.

You can
try a drum puller.  Tension it and then tap the drum with a heavy plastic
mallet.  If the puller loosens up a bit, it means the drum moved.  Repeat as
necessary.  Be careful not to apply to much tension force -- you can break the
drum.

Since the corrosion will be aluminum oxide, there may be some solution
you can put on them drums around the studs and center hole to dissolve it.  I
don't know what solution would work, though.

Gary