[Roadsters] Persistant Oil Leak!

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Persistant Oil Leak!
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:23:32 -0700
Pushing to get the car ready for Friday.
I've been fighting an oilpan gasket leak for the last couple of weeks.
I didn't have a small torque wrench, so have been using a 1/4" drive ratchet
and holding it at the head when tightening.......I'm on my third gasket!! Guess
I'm still tightening it too much! Duh!
On the latest gasket, it wasn't leaking real bad, but enough to worry me when I
first started it. A day later, it hardly leaked at all, and I was going to let
it be and just drive it.
Well when I got to Ross's, I thought after installing a comp sway bar, a backup
light, and adjusting some wiring, that I'd "snug up" the oilpan bolts while I
was under there.....MISTAKE!!!! It's REALLY leaking now, holy crap, I think I
was lucky to make it home!
So, Back to Ross's shop in the morning for a new gasket.................And
I'll use a proper torque wrench this time!!!

Any other tips??

Anyone up for having a 4 or 5 litre aluminum oilpan with a nice thick flange
manufactured???

Daryl Smith
(oilpan challenged, not bedpan......)