Re: [Roadsters] Roadster cuts out at 3k rpms

To: <escanlon@wa-net.com>, <shas1983@netzero.net>, <vstrazzabosco@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Roadster cuts out at 3k rpms
From: "robert k. smith" <rksmith46@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:44:16 -0400
hi, i worked on a roadster one time that did the same thing.

it turned out to be in the fitting connecting the float chamber

hose to the movable jet, it was right where the hose went on

the fittings. the passage was  about 1/2 blocked. i usually

take a flexible piece of wire and run it thru both fittings

and the hose. good luck,

    bob smith

     04 volvo s-40 turbo.

> After Andy Cost's reply regarding timing not advancing, I'm wondering if you
> could be having the same problem that can affect the 240 Z distributors.
>
> In those, there is a small plastic piece below the points plate which houses
> several ball bearings. Over time and age, the plastic gets brittle, cracks
> and loses the ball bearings. The result is that the point plate is no
> longer free to rotate and will do so only during violent vacuum changes or
> by sudden extreme acceleration.
>
> Remove the dizzy cap, and look down in the bottom of the "cup" of the
> distributor. If you see ball bearings running around loose... you need a
> new plate. To test, in case you don't see the ball bearings, disconnect the
> hose at the vacuum advance pot, suck on the end of it to simulate engine
> vacuum and watch the points plate action. It should rotate smoothly and
> return smoothly.
>
> FWIW
>
> Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010 6:55 PM
> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Roadster cuts out at 3k rpms
>

> > We have been debugging our recently restored 69 2000 with SU's and B cam.
> > Just
> > got floats and needles corrected, timing set, new fuel pump,new non-smog
> > distributor, etc.. Drove for the first time in 25 years. Runs good up to
> > around 3000 rpms and sputters/doesnt want to accelerate past 3 M under
> > load.
> > Bought new coil thinking that was the problem. Car now cranks instantly
> > and
> > definitely idles better with new coil. Still doesn't want to take gas past
> > 3M
> > rpms. Thought it was ignition related but now wondering if it could be
> > carbs.
> > Any suggestions?

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL
:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_1