fot

Axle end float

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Axle end float
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 16:46:48 -0500
George,

I expect the item you describe in the center of your Limited slip is the
"button". As HP said, you need it. Is the unit new? Any possibility it
could have worn that much? How about the ends of the axles, could they have
worn/pounded?

You can, in effect, lengthen the axle by shimming between the bearing stop
and the bearing race. If you are using the old axle/hub combo, just make
sure that the ID of the shim clears the radius where the stop transitions
to the journal. I think this would be a better solution than trying to
weld/machine extensions to the ends.

John Harkness,
There must have been a heck of a burr on the spacer when they pressed it
on. If you like, I'll try call to Brian tomorrow. I'm sure they'll want it
back for inspection. Are you game for that?

Chip