fot

Re: Axle end float

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: Axle end float
From: Linda Wright <mxr125@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 18:03:13 -0500
Chip Bond wrote:

> George,
>
> I expect the item you describe in the center of your Limited slip is the
> "button". As HP said, you need it. Is the unit new? Any possibility it
> could have worn that much? How about the ends of the axles, could they have
> worn/pounded?
>
> You can, in effect, lengthen the axle by shimming between the bearing stop
> and the bearing race. If you are using the old axle/hub combo, just make
> sure that the ID of the shim clears the radius where the stop transitions
> to the journal. I think this would be a better solution than trying to
> weld/machine extensions to the ends.
>
> John Harkness,
> There must have been a heck of a burr on the spacer when they pressed it
> on. If you like, I'll try call to Brian tomorrow. I'm sure they'll want it
> back for inspection. Are you game for that?
>
> ChipHi Chip, I think the solution is as you suggest to put the proper size
spacer on the bearing race which will work very well on the new axles. I
will just be adding to the depth of the press on spacer. I will be sure
to have a tight fit but will not require a press on fit.The unit is new
and I still do not see how to install a thrust button but guess it will
not be necessary now.This may also help if I add negative camber to the
rear since the axle end will not be pressing against any thing.If anyone
 can think of any problems with this please let me know. Thanks for the
input from everyone.
george Wright