fot

Re: Weekend Triumph

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Subject: Re: Weekend Triumph
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 16:47:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Alexander Joseph H wrote:

> FOT List:
>
> While out and about this weekend, I came across a pair of his 'n her
> bicycles. Triumph they say. From Notingham.  Pristine condition and being
> used as "wall art". Paint, seats, and decals intact. They are 3 spds from
> late 50s or early 60s, I suspect.

Assuming they've never been majorly repaired, you'll get a good idea of
the manufacture date from the Sturmey-Archer hub on the rear wheel. They
have date codes much like Lucas parts, i.e., 9 59 (for September 1959).

Do it. Look at how much attention I attracted @ VTR in Hudson with mine! :-)

> Anybody know anything about these bikes?  I understand that the heritage
> goes all of the way back to the late 1800s when the German immigrant founded
> the Triumph bicycle company that eventually evolved into to all kinds of
> products including motorcycles and cars.

Siegfried Bettmann began making bicycles in Coventry, then motorcycles,
then cars. And the divisions were sold off in that order: bicycles in the
early 1930s, motorcycles in the mid-1930s, and cars (to Standard) in 1944-5.

> Although some will tell me that they can be found in garage sales and such,
> this is the first time I have seen one. The large "Triumph" scripted across
> the chain guard really go my attention.
>
> Any interesting "stuff" from the list would be greatly appreciated.

This seems to be a popular theme amongst FOTers; wasn't it you, Uncle
Jack, who just asked me about Triumph bicycles as well?

I'd go for them, Joe. My own personal preference in bicycling is the
traditional English three-speed. I've never been particularly comfortable
with the "racing" style of bicycle, as I don't like bending over that
much whilst riding. ;-) But that's just the way I am, so....

--Andy

...and bicycle fan as well!