fot

Rear Shock Absorbers

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>, "[unknown]" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Shock Absorbers
From: baxter Culver <102247.2323@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 22:02:18 -0400
Just got back from a short trip.
The stp/oil formula I recall from the mid-60's, for Girling lever action
type shocks, was:    50/50 40wt oil and STP.    Some time later I also
recall an article that pooh-poohed that approach........said that the
increased viscosity only led to more heat in the shocks which impaired the
valving and lessened actual performance.
For "modern" vintage racing and autocrossing,   which is what I was doing
in the 60's and now  (inverse order)   I think we are not out there long
enough to suffer the ravenges of heat too much.   So, the mixture should
still work.