fot

Re: FOT sighting at Tustin Thunder

To: <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FOT sighting at Tustin Thunder
From: "mordy" <mordyd@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:27:08 -0500
About my gearbox:

I felt some chassis vibrations at the BRIC but, couldnt tell what it was.
At the end of enduro
on Sunday there was just more than a bit of oil on the floor pan.  I just
assumed it was spillage from the engine.  I cleaned it all up and everything
seemed ok.  When I pulled the wheels off prior to the Tustin event I noticed
that the rear spring perches on the IRS where cracked and bent
upwards -so I just thought this was where the vibration was comming from.  I
fixed them and went to the races.  the Vibration was gone.

On saturdays race at Tustin the gearbox was shifting fine except for the
last two laps.  It made a whine.  I finnished the race and decided to look
at the gearbox.   IT WAS HOT HOT HOT.  I touched the casing and nearly burnt
myself.  Even through gloves the bolts couldn't be held long.
---There was NOT ONE drop of oil withiin the casing!.    The teeth looked a
bit blued.

I poured oil into it but, it ran out the bottom just as fast.  On further
inspection there was a crack
all around the box just at the rear of the gear cluster section.

Goood news is that the Chuck says the gears look OK.

A testament to REDLINE synthetic.

Mordy