fot

Re: FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge

To: BillDentin@AOL.COM, rem9@cornell.edu, emanteno@ibm.net, jsnook@wcnet.org,
Subject: Re: FOT NewsFlash: Announcing SVRA TR/MG Challenge
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:01:49 PST
Gentlemen,

Good dialogue.  I think I can accurately speak for most of the MG crowd,
and we'd be pretty closely aligned to Bill Dentinger's thoughts.  I'd
have a difficult time getting the T-series guys to appreciate being
on-track with a bewinged, slicked TR8.  Performance differential would
be scary -- remember, Denver Cornett ran at Mid Ohio this year!  It's
really not what we're about -- I have enough of a challenge keeping the
TC's and MGB's happy together (and that's MGB's prepared to vintage
specs).  At Mosport in '97, VARAC allowed a few MG's with slicks &
flares, and there was a certain amount of "discussion" during the
weekend.

Jack's idea of running the moderns in Group 10, but not in the MG/TR
race, has some merit and I would not oppose that.  There are a few
National Champion MG's around (Kent Prather MGA) that might come, if
invited.  I'm not very well connected with those guys but I'm sure we
could find a few.  Or running them as pace cars throughout the weekend
would be ok.  Maybe they could give thrill rides at lunch.

I'm also a bit skeptical of "guest drivers": witness BS Levy at
Pittsburgh this year.  Even excellent drivers can behave inappropriately
in a vintage setting.  Modern car & competitive series driver in a
vintage setting is risky.  Let's keep the MG/TR race vintage cars, with
vintage-licensed drivers.

Regards,
Mark

>From jwoesvra@aol.com Wed Oct 28 08:41:03 1998

>In a message dated 98-10-28 11:20:34 EST, BillDentin writes:
>
><< I have the same concerns about inviting a half dozen or more 'modern
race
>cars' to a vintage race.  What's the point?  While I am sure I would
still
>participate, I really do not favor the idea.  Why would we propose it.
Are we