fot

Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>,
Subject: Re: 2001 Triumph Odyssey
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:20:23 EST
In a message dated 14/01/99 16:10:14 GMT, you write:

<< Subj:         2001 Triumph Odyssey
 Date:  14/01/99 16:10:14 GMT
 From:  AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com (Alexander Joseph H)
 To:    peyote222@email.msn.com ('Baxter Culver')
 CC:    fot@triumph.cs.utah.edu ('Amici Triumphi')

 Baxter,

 To catch you up on the process.

 As an alternative to attending the VTR Convention in 2001, someone (Bownes)
 suggested going to England to attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed and then
 do some touring around. Mark Bradakis provided further encouragement. This
 happens to be consistent with some long term planning that I have, anyway.

 .....So I started of list of candidates that might desire to go from the FOT
 List.

 My vision is that Goodwood would be a focal point for meeting and folks
 would be on their own before/afterthis event or follow a suggested itinerary
 for visiting interesting destination locations.

 I am not sure of the date of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, but this might be
 something I would consider. Would have preferred to be there in the 50s or
 60s, however.

 If we ended up with 5-10 couples and singles, I would consider this a
 successful endeavour. Attached below is a group of 'candidates' for such an
 adventure. There are 40 folks with companions listed  and 7 folks indicating
 a desire to ship cars. Shall I put your name down, Mr Peyote?

 Amici Triumphi         No. In Party            Home            Ship Car?

 Joe Alexander          2               Iowa            Maybe
 Jack Drews             2               Illinois
 Tony Drews             1               Illinois
 Roger Beasely          2               Florida
 Jack Wheeler           2               Indiana
 Richard Taylor         2               Georgia         Maybe
 Leon Guyot             2               England
 John Macarthy          1               England
 Paul Richardson                2               England
 Bob Lang               1               Mass.
 Bill Babcock           2               Oregon
 John Lye               2               ?
 Jeff Snook             2               Ohio            Maybe
 Bill Burroughs         2               California              Maybe
 Bob Bownes             2               New York
 Mark Bradakis          2               Utah
 Chris Kantarjiev               2               California

 Russ Moore             2               New York                Maybe
 Irv Korey              2               Illinois
 Jim Hill               1               Wisconsin
 Mike Jackson           2               Florida         Maybe
 Ted Schumacher         2               Ohio
 Kent Howard            2               Wisconsin               Maybe
 Total          40                              7

Many apologies for repetition, to all FOT, but I think it may be useful for
you all to read this: I believe that the Le Mans experience (still fabulous to
be there!!!), is the weekend immediately before Goodwood, because the Winning
cars are usually at Goodwood, having just been brought back from Le Mans
complete with dirt, carbon brake dust, worn rubber, and sweat stained
interiors, but covered in Glory...the stuff of legends!!!

Today, I telephoned Ian Jeffreys of IMOREX Shipping Services, that is a
company recommended by Practical Classics magazine, January 1997 and February
1999, editions, in articles about bringing cars back from the USA, suitable
for restoration.

Imorex are at 32 St.Peters Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, IPL 1XB, England.
Tel: 00-44-1473-213411,  FAX: 00-44-1473-219266.

They bring vehicles from all over the world back to Britain, especially
America.
They have established links with shipping hauliers and Customs and Excise
Officers, so can help bureaucratic cogs turn as smoothly as possible.
He says that it is best to have you car loaded/unloaded at the docks so you
can collect it from there,because if the shipping container is delivered to
you home, it will be five feet up in the air!
Anyhow that's what the blurb in Practical Classics says...

When I spoke to him, he said this to me...
"You must have owned your car for more than six months before shipping it.
Then there is no problem getting a temporary import licence, which he can
handle.
As you guys are most likely spread all over America, the most economical way
to do it is for you to arrange with him to deliver you cars to one of their
depots at say: Los Angeles, Florida, New York or Chicago, for loading into a
container.

The containers can hold 3 to 4 small sportscars like TR's, if you fill a
container, then that helps keep the price down.

Approximate prices should be In the region of:
600-700 GBP each way, (960-1120 USD each way).
He said that prices should still be approximately the same in 2001, although
obviously that is a little way ahead, however shipping prices have remained
stable these last 10-12 years now, due to larger/more efficient ships etc."

FWIW, if you want to go to Le Mans in your cars, I suggest you ship them to
the UK first, then take a short, relatively cheap car-ferry crossing across to
France, because UK Customs will be very much faster and less problematic than
the French equivalent, how that nation loves bureaucracy! It is after all, a
French word!

I hope you guys find that informative and helpful...remember now, the more
cars you ship, the chaeper it gets!!!

Best Regards
Leon