fot

Re: FW: "unofficial t-shirt"--the sequel

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: FW: "unofficial t-shirt"--the sequel
From: Andrew Mace <amace@UNIX2.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:52:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jack Brooks wrote:

> The only downside is that Susan is now so gung-ho, she's talking about us
> acquiring a Spit racer based on the "it'll be easier to drive" suggestion
> from Sue Snyder. How could you do this to me Sue Snyder?  I don't have time
> to find and prepare a Spit racer....

a. BAD excuse to attempt to use when it's your wife you're talking about!
b. Check the VTR classified; ISTR one there, unless Henry Frye has
reconsidered and arranged for delivery....

> I need to rebuild my syncro first gear
> tranny into an OD and get it back in the car.  Even I heard the groans from
> the crowd, when I missed one (of four) double clutch downshifts into first,
> as well as a miss or two of Susan's.  (Ouch!)  Then there is the new head
> and exhaust system to finish.   <Huge smile>

Well, with an old Spitfire gearbox you don't need to worry; just jam it
into first. I had one in the HBRS4 that lasted for about 4 years of my
autocrossing it that way. My teammate and car co-owner never got the hang
of double-clutching nor could he get over the fear of hurting something
(didn't bother me, with several spare gearboxes around just in case), but
we finally put an all-synchro gearbox in! But now that I've got that old
Vitesse 1600 gearbox.... ;-)

--Andy