fot

Re: Cleaning motor blocks

To: Matthew Wilder <mwilder@top.monad.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning motor blocks
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:50:22 -0600
Depends on what process the shop uses to clean the block. If they use a
caustic tank, which is the process that really cleans everything, then
according to my shop, that plug will disintegrate or at least deteriorate.
They remove that plug on my blocks, and fortuantely the hole is tapped, and
you can screw in a standard socket head set screw and lock it with one of
the magic chemicals like Loctite. The same process can be used on the head
and crank, but be aware that there's a BIG plug like this on the top face of
the head, where the valve springs are. This one is also threaded but I don't
remember if it is a standard size. The last head I did, this plug was
leaking around the edge, so I drilled it out and unfortunately damaged the
threads in the head, so had to drill it out and tap it for the next size,
all of which works okay.

--

TR6 -- 29 years old
TR4 -- 39 years old