fot

Re: Cleaning motor blocks

To: WEmery7451@aol.com, mwilder@top.monad.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning motor blocks
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:39:00 EST
In a message dated 1/18/00 11:32:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
WEmery7451@aol.com writes:

<<
 In my opinion, I have had about the same results by cleaning my own blocks
 with kerosene or brake clean inside the garage, and gasoline outside the
 garage (dangerous) to eliminate the loss of plugs and cam bearings.  Normal
 wear on the cam bearings seemed to provide about the right clearance for
 racing.  Most people will not agree with this method.  I would then change
 the oil and oil filter after every race weekend to provide some self
 cleaning.

 Concerning the front oil galley plug: A set of three or four of these plugs
 connected together with an end shaped for turning the set with a wrench use
 to be available.  Once the old plug was out, you would screw in the end plug
 on the set and saw off the remainder of the set.

 Good luck,
 Bill Emery

<snip>Matt,
I second Bill's excellent advice.  To boil a TR2/4A block is counter
productive.
You may want to remove the oil gallery end plugs to use a gun bore cleaning
brush, as that bore MUST be clean, and solvents can just loosen crud in there.
To clean the water jacket, glue old figure 8 gaskets to protect the block
there,
and scrape or grind (die grinder, die) the jacket clean. (do not breathe the
stuff)
Tight cam bearings are not available.  The red box ones are a joke, IMHO.
Have you checked the short head stud holes for cracks?

Hardy Prentice