fot

Re: Cleaning motor blocks

To: mwilder@top.monad.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning motor blocks
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:23:42 EST
Matt,

Anytime I had a block or head boiled, they were returned without any of the
aluminum plugs or cam bearings.  Either the chemicals took them out or the
machinist removed them.  Fortunately, I have always been able to buy
replacement plugs and bearings from the Roadster Factory.  I always had the
machinist replace the cam bearings.

In my opinion, I have had about the same results by cleaning my own blocks
with kerosene or brake clean inside the garage, and gasoline outside the
garage (dangerous) to eliminate the loss of plugs and cam bearings.  Normal
wear on the cam bearings seemed to provide about the right clearance for
racing.  Most people will not agree with this method.  I would then change
the oil and oil filter after every race weekend to provide some self
cleaning.

Concerning the front oil galley plug: A set of three or four of these plugs
connected together with an end shaped for turning the set with a wrench use
to be available.  Once the old plug was out, you would screw in the end plug
on the set and saw off the remainder of the set.

Good luck,
Bill Emery