fot

Re: Exhaust wrap

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Re: Exhaust wrap
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:23:53 EST
In a message dated 31/01/00 07:51:49 GMT Standard Time, jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Exhaust wrap
 Date:  31/01/00 07:51:49 GMT Standard Time
 From:  jonmac@ndirect.co.uk (John Macartney)
 Sender:    owner-fot@autox.team.net
 To:    triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), fot@autox.team.net (Friends
of Triumph)

 Leon - dear

???

 While not wishing to appear abrasive or discrediting, what exactly are you
planning to do
 with your Vitesse when all this is done? You've presumably obtained an
inter-galactic
 battery by now, fitted Formula 1 kevlar/carbon fibre brake pads, hooked up
supersonic
 ignition leads and tied an electric blanket to the manifold - but for what
purposes
 exactly? Surely you're not planning to enter the Vyteez in a concours as
original with all
 this kit on it, are you?
 While I know and understand the car in question is the apple of your eye,
it's only a
 Triumph, for heaven's sake. Isn't this getting rather like rocket science
technology for
 use on a lawnmower? Please enlighten us all - enquiring minds would like to
know.

 Jonmac

Huh? Only a Triumph? Have you been standing too close to the MG's at Gaydon
again?

>>>I could tell you a long story about the last person that said "It's only a
Triumph" to me, but I won't. Not here, not now!
********************************
Here is my reply.

Because my dear chap, it is there! (like Everest).
(and I say the following with all due respect to you John.)

Do I need any reason other than the fact that I just want to make it as good
as it can be?
Let's see now?
I have seen so many Triumphs over the years, with all sorts of engine
conversions, and the engineering varies between mindblowingly excellent to
completely naff.
(but I don't always say what I think to the owners!)
The bodyshell likewise, from stunningly beautiful to handpainted over plastic
filler over rust.
(They may still love them just as much though!)
But, most noticeably, the cars with the best bodies are the ones with the
most mechanically challenged owners, whereas those with good mechanics often
have very poor bodywork.
I want mine to have the best of both worlds.

I believe that the Triumph six cylinder engine is a work of automotive art.
(almost up there with the Michelotti stlying, which is already 100% perfect)
It looks good, and it sounds good.
(yes I know it has its' faults, but those are for us to work around).

I have judged many Triumphs in Concours all round the world and can fully
appreciate  that some folk do not want to detract from total (anal retentive
some might say) originality with their cars if such a thing were possible?
With that I have no problem.
However, I can also appreciate the other end of the spectrum...some folks
want to go for all out modifications, huge V8's, Toyota gearboxes and Diffs
etc etc. ad infinitum.
With that approach also, I have no problem...
I believe that a mans (or womans) car can be a symbol of a persons
individuality.
And why not? It's their money after all, and individuality is what makes us
all human.

I like my car, as you said, I like to spend my time playing around with it, I
like to find all the best bits n'bobs to make it as good as it can be.
The intention is simply a stunning fast road Vitesse Convertible, that is fun
and safe to drive.
That's what I care to do with my time & money.
That's it, plain & simple.

And, FWIW, remember that Vitesse is French for Speed.

John, please come along to the TSSC Stafford International this coming July
on the Sunday, then you may begin to understand.

ps. we have a modified Vitesse class.

Best Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.