fot

Re: "Rover may be a Triumph"

To: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: "Rover may be a Triumph"
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

Then On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, R. John Lye wrote:

> Given that most of us have had our Triumphs called a "nice MG" more than
> once, it seems clear that the MG name has more recognition than Triumph
> to the average American.

I agree.

Last Saturday, I went to my local NAPA parts store for a few parts. Of
course, I always forget to write down the numbers - excpet I do remember
the oil filter (stock TR6) is 1513, but I was looking to obtain a cap and
rotor.

Anyway, I apprehensively approched the counter person, a twenty-something
lad. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I'd like a cap and rotor for my Triumph TR6

Lad: Who makes that?

Me: Triumph.

Lad: We won't have that.

Me: I've bought at least 50 of them in the last 10 years from this very
store, could you please look the number up?

Lad: What kind of car was that?

Me: Triumph

Lad: (While flipping through the book) Hmmm... Toyota - ah, here it is
Triumph. TR6... okay. 2.5l??

Me: yes.

Lad: Oh-oh - that's got an "s" in the availability. We probably can't get it.

Me: Please order me two.

Move forward two days. I have two brand new parts on my shelf awaiting
installation.

Conclusion: yes, Triumph does not have brand recognition amonst the
twenty-something crowd (generally) in the 'States. That doesn't mean
that's a bad thing - think of it as a clean slate.

But BMW would have to do some heavy marketing to make a "new" name brand
take off here.

So, do you think Ford will be owning BMW soon???

;-)

> Cheers,
>
> John Lye
> rjl6n@Virginia.edu

rml
p.s. the Cap number is EP55, the rotor is EP44. The cap is made in
Germany, the rotor is made in England. Figure around $22 for a cap and
rotor. The cap has brass terminal posts. Good quality.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |