fot

Re: Britalia

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Britalia
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 22:51:28 EDT
In a message dated 6/24/00 3:09:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jmwagner@greenheart.com writes:

<<  am considering having Britalia in Fullerton, CA rebuild my rear solid
 axle (TR 4A).....   They're local, so I could bring the core in myself,
 saving shipping costs, etc.

Good luck.  Through the late 60's and then most of the 70's, I had others set
up five 4:55 ratio rear ends for me.  This was the right ratio at the time
due to higher profile tires.  Every one of these exploded over a period of
time.  I finally made a crude casing spreader and preload gage (shown in the
manual), bought the new ring and pinion and bearings and built a unit myself.
 This was the only solid axle differential that did not fail over a period of
time.  In fairness, this was the first unit where I used synthetic gear oil.
This ratio is now too low and is in the lawn shed, and I have been just
welding up standard, already set up 3:7 units.  None of these ever failed.  I
do have a 4:11 ring and pinion that I plan to set up myself, if and when I
find time.

I would never build a differential for someone else.  I have heard of a
couple of other people shipping units to Britalia, and haven't as of yet
heard any complaints.