fot

Re: TR4A plugs

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, <TRBILBO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A plugs
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:28:15 -0700
Plug reading indeed is an art.  I spent a lot of hours at the Champion
school in Toledo and then countless hours from the dyno and the track
learning the art.  There is as stated by Bill " No way to gather info from a
used or already dirty plug."   My practice was to have at least a half dozen
clean plugs with me at every test session.  On a four cyl engine I'd put a
clean plug in the number two hole ( generally the leanest due to the flow of
the fuel in the crossover pipe) and on a six in the number two and number
five holes., you don't need a whole set to get the reading, but they due
need to be clean or new. Run a couple laps ,cut it clean and look at the
plugs you have just put in.  Replace them with other clean plugs and do it
again after you've made the changes you think it needs.  Works wonders in
the performance and the relability. One of the things that shows up lots of
times and is very confusing to most folks is the rubber or debris from
off-track excursions.  Even with filters this junk winds up on the plugs and
can look like detonation traces. The melted tiny balls of rubber look just
like aluminum and you need to look very close to see that they are black and
shiney not aluminum which is silver and shiney.  Dick Gale is the guy who
was at the track for so many races.  Great guy and a great friend. Bobby
Strahlman was another fellow for Champion. I did a ton of work for Champion
of dynoing engines with their engineering plugs before they were put on the
market.