fot

Re: Rear Brakes

To: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>, <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Brakes
From: rjl6n@cstone.net (R. John Lye)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 19:52:41 -0700
Hi Joe,

At 08:54 AM 7/17/00 -0700, jaboruch wrote:

 >John, Do you have any additional details about this conversion?
Any >specifics about the bracket?

It is an off-the-shelf bracket designed for the Dyna-Lite II caliper. but it
is designed for something like a 12" rotor and a 3" axle tube, so the
inner radius needs to be machined to fit the Triumph axle tube flange
and to position the caliper at the correct radius for the rotor. It is a
pretty simple cutting operation, since it does not need to be terribly
exact, since the final positioning is determined by the bolt holes that
will be used to mount the bracket. I bought my bracket from Townsend
Racing in Richmond, since I bought my Ford rear from them as well.
I think that Chip Bond got his bracket from Irv Hoerr Racing, but any
good circle track supplier should have it.

 >I assume the SAAB rotor and hat are off of the rear?

Yeah, I think that's right, but I did not go the junkyard to get it, so I
can't be 100% sure of that (and Chip can't remember).

 >Where did he mount the rotors; towards the front or back
 >of the axle, etc?

It slid on over the wheel studs (and used them to hold it in place) from
the front and butted up against the flange just like the brake drum would.

 >Did he use the same master cylinder?

Yeah, he did, but he has a Tilton dual master setup. It turns out that
there are two sizes of Dyna-Lite II calipers. He bought the larger one
with 1 3/4" pistons and had too much rear brakes. I am using the
smaller ones with the 1 3/8" pistons with a stock TR-4 single master
cylinder and the Toyota front calipers and it seems to balance out
quite well.

 >Does the bracket just bolt onto the old drum backing plate or does it go
 >to the axle flange?

It mounts to the back of the flange as I recall. All remnants of the drum
brake backing plate are removed (but must be replaced with shims as I
recall to get the end float on the axles correct, as I recall).

 >Whatever info you have or can get would make the
 >conversion much easier. Thanks in Advance, Joe(B)

I hope that this helps - if you've got any more questions, please feel
free to fire away.

Cheers,

R. John Lye

rjl@gt-classics.com