fot

Re: racing Vitesses

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: racing Vitesses
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 22:19:12 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/00 9:47:51 PM EDT, kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

> Vitesse...Built by my company Kastner Brophy Racing in 1971.  Factory
>  sent me a stock Vitesse and we then did the build for the then Trans-am
>  racing.

I admit that I've always been curious as to WHY this all happened when it
did. Presumably the Vitesse 2L was the only Triumph product that might even
have come close to fitting neatly into a Trams-Am racing class. But it
couldn't have had much to do with the classic "Race on Sunday, sell on
Monday" advertising philosophy. After all, fewer than 700 "Vitesses" were
ever officially sold in the US, and that had happened about 7-8 years
earlier. And even the Herald had been gone from the US for several years when
these two Vitesses hit the Trans-Am circuit!

So Kas, or Mike Cook, or anyone else in the know -- why did Triumph or BLMC
wish to see this happen?

--Andy

Andrew Mace, President, The Vintage Triumph Register