fot

Re: SCATTER SHIELD

To: Mordy Dunst <gasket.works@gte.net>
Subject: Re: SCATTER SHIELD
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 07:15:14 -0500
Mordy Dunst wrote:

> I was just thinking...
>
> Could we not have this balistic material cut to fit the inside of the Tranny
> tunnel and then bolt it in place?

My understanding of other race venues' rules is that the scatter shield must be
360 deg, and the primary reason for this is to protect anyone within detonation
range from harm. With our kind of racing, that seems like overkill (is that
inappropriate terminology here?) It seems that the thing we don't know is what
is really required to protect just the driver. Does the ballistic material
itself soak up the impact, like a bullet-proof vest, or does it have to be
restrained in place by a full wrap of some kind?

I wonder how we can find that out -- I doubt that Diest will reveal those
details, but maybe they will. I wonder who makes the ballistic material? Wonder
what they would say?

Or, another alternative -- I myself would feel comfortable with a piece of
ballistic material held to the trans bell housing with through bolts and big
washers.............

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 and being rebuilt